Legendary Sega Master System platformer Wonder Boy 3: The Dragon’s Trap is getting a modern makeover and it looks great.
There are a number of fantastic experiences from Sega’s heyday as a leading console manufacturer that have been criminally left to rot in some random basement. One we very fondly remember is Wonder Boy, which started life as a sidescrolling autorunner (or autoskater in truth), but then branched out to include more story and RPG mechanics over its subsequent sequels.
News has emerged today that the third game in the series, originally released in 1989, is getting an exotic makeover. It’s happening under the guidance of indie developer Lizardcube, a new studio with something of a dream team behind it. It’s founded by former Media Molecule maestro Omar Cornut (Tearaway, Dreams, Pixeljunk Shooter) and ex-Dreamworks animator Ben Fiquet (Soul Bubbles, Powa), with original Wonder Boy creator Ryuichi Nishizawa on-board as a consultant.
As you can see from the trailer below, there is a lot more going on here than a spit, polish and bucketload of achievements. Gone are the pixelated visuals and in comes a fresh, near animated feel. However, the gameplay and story – revolving around our hero Wonder Boy being transformed by Meka-Dragon into a half-lizard, half-human who must seek out a cure – remain intact.
No release date has been announced, but we’ve been told to expect “consoles” and PC. Whether the vague wording of the former means that the publisher – Dot Emu – is fishing around for an exclusive deal, or if it includes the Nintendo NX (whose roster of titles remains under wraps), remains to be seen. More details as they surface.
If you are wondering who we are, we're primarily a digital magazine for the iPad focused on the coverage of indie video games. Run by the former editor of Game Informer, you'll find worldwide exclusives, but also an interactive media experience unlike any you have seen before. If you have an iPad, you should check out the free sample issue at the very least, or enjoy one of our other episodes as listed below.
Get Every Episode:
- Episode 1 - Includes The Making of République (*free sample issue*)
- Episode 2 - Includes The Making of Oceanhorn
- Episode 3 - Includes The Making of Monument Valley
- Episode 4 - Includes The Making of Last Inua
- Episode 5 - Includes The Making of World of Tanks Blitz
- Grab It Episodes 2-5 Bundle
- Episode 6 - Includes The Making of Magic the Gathering
- Episode 7 - Includes The Making of Tiny Troopers Alliance and Midnight Star
- Episode 8 - The PAX AUS edition
- Grab It Presents Nihilumbra - Classics Collection
- Grab It Presents Ultimate Indie Game Reviews Vol 1.