It's now six months into the life of the very games-capable new Apple TV, however decent RPGs are thin on the ground for the little black box. The pick of the bunch is easily Oceanhorn, which we featured in a huge Making Of feature in Episode 2 of Grab It (check out the full list below).
Oceanhorn is evidence that this mid-tier level of top-down RPGs is a perfect fit for Apple's new hardware. Small one-touch free-to-play mobile titles squander the opportunity the device offers developers and gamers, and big triple triple A titles just aren't an option for this microconsole's capabilities, so titles like Oceanhorn sit in the goldilocks region of gaming for Apple TV.
Enter the upcoming Legend of The Skyfish from publisher Crescent Moon Games and developer Mgaia Studios. Even before seeing any gameplay, the banner above this article already screams Zelda, but if you need any further convincing scroll down to the bottom and check out the trailer.
The subdued colour palette and gorgeous 2D artwork give Legend of The Skyfish a very handcrafted, classic storybook vibe. Gameplay looks to be a mixture of puzzle elements built largely around a grappling hook mechanic, over the top of an old-school top down RPG canvas.
August 18th is the release date for Legend of The Skyfish, on both iOS and Apple TV's tvOS. The Apple TV's App Store is currently a small pond with only a few fish, and Legend of The Skyfish looks like it has the potential to be one of the bigger ones come Thursday.
If you are wondering who we are, we're primarily a digital magazine for the iPad focused on the coverage of indie video games. Run by the former editor of Game Informer, you'll find worldwide exclusives, but also an interactive media experience unlike any you have seen before. If you have an iPad, you should check out the free sample issue at the very least, or enjoy one of our other episodes as listed below.
Get Every Episode:
- Episode 1 - Includes The Making of République (*free sample issue*)
- Episode 2 - Includes The Making of Oceanhorn
- Episode 3 - Includes The Making of Monument Valley
- Episode 4 - Includes The Making of Last Inua
- Episode 5 - Includes The Making of World of Tanks Blitz
- Grab It Episodes 2-5 Bundle
- Episode 6 - Includes The Making of Magic the Gathering
- Episode 7 - Includes The Making of Tiny Troopers Alliance and Midnight Star
- Episode 8 - The PAX AUS edition
- Grab It Presents Nihilumbra - Classics Collection
- Grab It Presents Ultimate Indie Game Reviews Vol 1.