Update: Push back those boundaries strategy fans and have one more turn of Civilization Revolution 2 - grab it here. Trailer down below, too.
Original Story: Back in 2008, legendary game developer Sid Meier and his development studio Firaxis brought the iconic turn-based strategy series Civilization to consoles for the first time in Civilization Revolution. It was excellent, not only proving to be great fun, but a well-conceived distillation of the complex PC experience into a control-pad enabled slab of brain food.
A year later, the game debuted on iOS and retained much of what we loved about the game to stand as one of the best strategy experience in the App Store. It was a sign of where the great man’s mind was at, too, as he’d go on over the following years to increase his activity in the mobile space. Sid Meier's Pirates!, Sid Meier's Railroad Tycoon, Sid Meier's Ace Patrol and Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies would follow. While many “name” developers have since jumped on the iOS bandwagon, Meier was an early adopter.
Today we received word, that Sid Meier’s Civilization Revolution 2 will be a mobile exclusive, purpose built for touchscreens and forgoing the console edition altogether. With six years between console bows, it appears PC and mobile will be Meier’s future: a shame for gamers generally, but excellent news for iOS fans who can anticipate a bespoke touchscreen experience in this legendary 23-year-old series.
Not a whole lot is known about the game itself, not that it appears to rock the boat that much at all. You’ll take on and tackle figureheads of history such as Abraham Lincoln, Napoleon Bonaparte, Winston Churchill and John F. Kennedy. Here is the official feature list:
· New Units – strengthen your military might with brand new combat units including Aircraft Carriers, Jet Fighters and SpecOps Infantry
· New Technology – race to science supremacy with new technology such as: Lasers, Modern Medicine and Information Technology
· New Buildings & Wonders – grow and expand your civilization like never before with new buildings and wonders including Nuclear Power Plant, The Red Cross and Silicon Valley
· Enhanced 3D Graphics – updated 3D graphics taking full advantage of iOS devices graphical capability
· Scenario Challenges - re-enact historic events and battles in the Scenario Mode
We won’t have to wait long to put the above to test – the game is out July 2
- Civilization Revolution
- Sid Meier's Pirates!
- Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
- Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: Pacific Skies
Have You Collected All The Grab It Episodes?
- Episode 1 - Includes The Making of République (*free sample issue)
- Episode 2 - Includes The Making of Oceanhorn
- Episode 3 - Includes The Making of Monument Valley
- Episode 4 - Includes The Making of Last Inua
- Grab It Presents Nihilumbra - Classics Collection